weddings for over 4 years I have found that sometimes, brides tend to forget the same things over and over again. So why has it taken me four years to do this post? I have no clue!! I totally understand why these little things fall through the cracks! The bride has a million things running through her head and the last thing she’s going to remember is to grab ALL of the wedding bands so that the photographer can get a shot of them during the prep time. I was a bride once and I remember how CRAZY that morning was!! This post is for brides AND photographer to use and share in preparation for the wedding day.
Now, I’m not making a checklist for the WHOLE day… this is just a checklist for the BRIDAL PREP TIME. I normally photograph the bride and the bridesmaids getting ready for about an hour and a half before the first look! This gives me time to shoot ALL of the bridal details WELL and still capture the girls getting ready together. After the details are done and we’re about 30 minutes away from the first look, I photograph the bride getting into her dress and the day begins!! This bridal prep time is a GREAT time for me to get warmed up AND for the bridesmaids to get used to me being around. I know it’s VERY tempting for brides to cut this part short when they are only working with a certain number of hours but this time is VITAL. It’s important for ME to get warmed up, it’s important for the sake of your images and the story I’m telling through them and it’s NEVER a good idea to START rushed. So an hour and a 1/2 minimum is what I suggest for bridal prep time!
After I arrive and give the bride a big “It’s your WEDDING DAY!” hug, I begin to get settled and these are the items I start looking for! I realize not EVERY bride is going to have ALL of these details…. these are just the most common items I shoot:
– DRESS (I also shoot any specialty hangers. HUGE TIP: Even if you don’t have a custom hanger, make sure you have a decent hanger for your beautiful gown. Your wedding dress deserves more than a plastic/metal hanger and believe me, having a classy wooden hanger makes a HUGE difference in your images. If you forget this, most hotels and venues have extra “nice” hangers in coat closets… I “borrow” them all the time!)
– RINGS (All 3 of them! Many times, the best man has the bride’s band at the start of the wedding day. I love getting the ring shots with all of the other detail shots and so I try to have my brides keep all of the bling with her until the bridal party is together after the first look! THEN the ring shots are done and the bands can go back where they belong!)
– VEIL & HAIRPIECES
– SHOES (Some brides wear heals but only for a few portraits and then they switch into something more comfortable. I’ve even had some brides have me take pictures of beautiful, uncomfortable heels that they NEVER even wore on their wedding day but man, they looked good in the album! How funny is that! Whatever works! :)
– EARRINGS (I asked brides to wait and put on ALL jewelry once their dress is on! It just gives me one more chance for some beautiful bridal shots!)
– OTHER JEWELRY
– KEEPSAKES (handkerchiefs, heirloom pins, something blue, etc)
– INVITATIONS (and other stationary)
– BOUQUETS & BOUTS (If you’re sharing a FIRST LOOK…which I encourage all couples to consider, they are amazing!…. Then you need to have your bouquet delivered to wherever you’re getting ready so that it can be ready when you leave for portraits! )
– GIFTS (This can be gifts shared between the Bride and Groom or even just gifts that were given to the bridal party! I also make sure I photograph any letters that may have been exchanged between the bride and groom:)
– BRIDE’S CLUTCHPURSE
Hope this helps all of you brides out there as you prep for your big day!! Here are the items listed together:
-VEILS & HAIRPIECES
-BOUQUETS & BOUTS
-PURSE OR CLUTCH
When I’m scrolling on Instagram or looking through images after a shoot, some images just stand out and capture my attention more than others!
I don’t know if I have ever photographed a more gracious bride in the most horrendous heat! Seriously, Kelsey is a literal angel on earth. She brought her entire family to Virginia from South Dakota for this portrait session and was so incredibly kind even in the midst of 100 degree heat and humidity!
Lenses are NOT cheap, so when you invest, you want to make sure you’re choosing the best option!
If you think about a wedding day and the part that makes you cringe is having to interact and direct the groomsmen, I get it.
This was one of the most beautiful ceremonies I have ever seen, but the timeline didn’t quite pan out like we had planned.. The rings got lost, hair & makeup went long, storms were rolling in and there were some stressful moments!
You’re not going to believe this but this session was probably our easiest DC engagement session to date! We had glow, no crowed, a beautiful setting and the most wonderful couple!